If you are concerned that a child or adult has been harmed or is at risk of harm, do not hesitate to contact the Diocesan Safeguarding Adviser for advice and support. If a child or adult is in immediate danger or requires medical attention, call the emergency services on 999.
Carol Butler (Diocesan Safeguarding Advisor)
T: 07825 167016
Here are the contact details for local authority statutory services in Newcastle Diocese, for guidance or to report on a safeguarding concern about a vulnerable adult or a child or young person.
- Newcastle: Report suspected adult abuse and neglect
- Newcastle: Report a concern about a child or young person
- Northumberland: Report suspected adult abuse and neglect
- Northumberland: Report a concern about a child or young person
- North Tyneside: Report suspected adult abuse and neglect
- North Tyneside: Report a concern about a child or young person
- Durham: Concerned about someone - report neglect or abuse
- Durham: Report a concern about a child
- Cumbria: Safeguarding Hub
- Domestic Abuse Newcastle Support Directory
- NSPCC Child Protection Helpline: 0808 800 5000 (lines free and open 24 hours). Phone if you are worried about a child.
- Childline: 0800 1111 (lines free and open 24 hours). Phone if you are a child or young person and are worried about anything.
- National Domestic Violence Helpline: 0808 2000 247 (lines free and open 24 hours). Phone if you are experiencing domestic abuse.
- Samaritans Helpline: 116 123 (open 24 hours). Phone if you feel you are struggling to cope and need someone to talk to.
- Action on Elder Abuse Helpline: 080 8808 8141 ( free phone Monday to Friday 9-5pm).
- National Rape Crisis Helpline: 0808 802 9999 and is open every day from 12-2.30pm and 7-9.30pm.
- Modern Slavery
Tara Russell (Children & Youth Team Leader)
T: 07467 563309
Safe Spaces: an independent service supporting survivors of church-related abuse
Safe Spaces offers a confidential, personal, and safe space for anyone who has been abused through their relationship with either the Church of England, The Church in Wales or The Catholic Church in England and Wales, regardless of disability, age, gender or sexual orientation.
The Safe Spaces Services will be available on 0300 303 1056 or via the Safe Spaces England and Wales website.
Opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am – 9pm, Saturday 9-1pm and Sunday from 1-5pm (excluding bank holidays, subject to review).
Safe Spaces can also be contacted at Safe Spaces England and Wales
Safe Spaces is run by First Light, an independent organisation with over 25 years’ experience in supporting those who have experienced or are experiencing sexual abuse and/or domestic violence and abuse, including survivors and victims of church-related abuse.
First Light were appointed by The Church of England, The Church in Wales and The Catholic Church in England and Wales on 24 November 2022 after a rigorous recruitment process by The Board of Trustees of Safe Spaces England and Wales including victims and survivors. You can read more about this here.
For more information on safeguarding in the Church of England, you can email the National Safeguarding Team: firstname.lastname@example.org
More information can be found on the national Church of England website.