If you are concerned that a child or adult has been harmed or is at risk of harm, do not hesitate to contact the Diocesan Safeguarding Adviser for advice and support. If a child or adult is in immediate danger or requires medical attention, call the emergency services on 999.
Carol Butler (Diocesan Safeguarding Advisor)
T: 07825 167016
Here are the contact details for local authority statutory services in Newcastle Diocese, for guidance or to report on a safeguarding concern about a vulnerable adult or a child or young person.
- Newcastle: Report suspected adult abuse and neglect
- Newcastle: Report a concern about a child or young person
- Northumberland: Report suspected adult abuse and neglect
- Northumberland: Report a concern about a child or young person
- North Tyneside: Report suspected adult abuse and neglect
- North Tyneside: Report a concern about a child or young person
- Durham: Concerned about someone - report neglect or abuse
- Durham: Report a concern about a child
- Cumbria: Safeguarding Hub
- Cumbria: How to raise a safeguarding concern
- Safe Newcastle - Domestic Abuse Service Directory
- NSPCC Child Protection Helpline: 0808 800 5000 (lines free and open 24 hours). Phone if you are worried about a child.
- Childline: 0800 1111 (lines free and open 24 hours). Phone if you are a child or young person and are worried about anything.
- National Domestic Violence Helpline: 0808 2000 247 (lines free and open 24 hours). Phone if you are experiencing domestic abuse.
- Samaritans Helpline: 116 123 (open 24 hours). Phone if you feel you are struggling to cope and need someone to talk to.
- Action on Elder Abuse Helpline: 080 8808 8141 ( free phone Monday to Friday 9-5pm).
- National Rape Crisis Helpline: 0808 802 9999 and is open every day from 12-2.30pm and 7-9.30pm.
- Modern Slavery
Tara Russell (Children & Youth Team Leader)
T: 07467 563309
Safe Spaces: an independent service supporting survivors of church-related abuse
Launched in September 2020, this service offers support to survivors of church-related abuse whether or not a report has been made. This independent service is run by the charity Victim Support and funded by the Church of England together with the Catholic Church in England and Wales and the Church in Wales. It is free to access via telephone, email or web-chat.
Tel: 0300 303 1056 (answerphone available outside of opening times)
WebChat - via the Safe Spaces website
For more information on safeguarding in the Church of England, you can email the National Safeguarding Team: email@example.com
More information can be found on the national Church of England website.