The Newcastle Diocesan Synod is the representative governing body of the Diocese of Newcastle. In it, Bishops, along with elected clergy and lay people, meet together to discuss the issues facing churches across the Diocese and make decisions about their common future.
The clergy and laity of Diocesan Synod are elected from each Deanery by the members of Deanery Synods.
Other members of Diocesan Synod include the Bishop of Newcastle, the Bishop of Berwick, the Dean of Newcastle, the Archdeacons of Northumberland and Lindisfarne, and the clergy and laity elected by the Diocese to the General Synod.
The Synod also has a role in representing the views of Newcastle Diocese to the General Synod and wider national Church, particularly when asked to do so by the General Synod or Bishop’s Council.
Meeting dates in 2024
The most recent meeting of the Diocesan Synod was a meeting held on Saturday 2nd December at Duke's Secondary School, Ashington.
Dates and veneues for meetings of the Diocesan Synod in 2024 are reserved as follows:
- Saturday 9th March at 10:00 at St John's Church, Percy Main, North Shields NE29 6HS
- Saturday 11th May at 10:00 at Newcastle Cathedral
- Saturday 13th July at 10:00 at Newcastle Cathedral
- Saturday 28th September at 10:00 at St Mary's Church, Claremont Gardens, Whitley Bay NE26 3SF
- Saturday 9th November at 10:00 at Dr Thomlinson Church of England Middle School, Silverton Lane, Rothbury NE65 7RJ
Information and papers from previous meetings are available in the archive.