What is Text Giving?
Text giving enables your supporters to give by simply sending a text message from their mobile phone. Donations are added to their bill or deducted from phone credit. The network provider will also make a charge for sending the text.
By displaying your unique code on fundraising literature or sharing on social media, people can text a donation amount (usually £5, £10, £15) to your church. They can also receive an automatic acknowledgement with a link for Gift Aid, and a thank you message for their donation.
This type of digital giving has great potential for one off fundraising events, for churches in areas where tourists drop in, and for events with lots of young people present. Ramblers, tourists and other visitors may these days be more likely to have their mobile phones with them than to have any cash in their pockets!
There are a few text giving providers available so we recommend you do some research to decide which company is right for you. Websites such as Charity Digital can offer good information.
Donr are a text giving provider based in Newcastle, with whom a number of our churches are already working. Donr have simplified their registration process to take account of the fact that as "excepted charities" churches won't always have a charity registration number.
Registering with Donr
- A copy of correspondence from HMRC dated within the last 12 months should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. This correspondence should show your church's full name and your HMRC Gift Aid registration number.
- A member of the team at Donr will add your church to their database and email you once this has been done.
- Your church can then sign up here using your Gift Aid registration number in lieu of a Charity Commission number.
- Once registered, your church will need to provide bank details in your "Donr Dashboard"
- sort code
- account number
- account title
- copy of redacted bank statement/letter dated within the last 3 months which confirms the sort code, account number and account title
For text giving and text raffles, Donr charge 5% per donation + VAT. Any Gift Aid due is claimed on the gross donation amount. So for example, a £5 donation that was gift aided would become a £5.95 donation once gift aid was claimed. A £10 donation that was eligible for gift aid would become a gift worth £11.90.
Contact at email@example.com or call 0333 4444 777 (option 2) for further support.